Cervical Myelopathy-Sign and Symptomes-Physiotherapy Treatment
Sign and Symptoms :-
- Age : Mostly found after the age of 40 years.
- Neck stiffness : Restriction of lateral flexion,lateral rotation even flexion or extension also.
- Neck Pain : Radiating pain found at posterior aspect of neck to supraspinous area and increase with neck movement.
- Brachialgia : Patient feel pain along the upper limb and could radiate to shoulder,elbow or even to the tip of the finger.
- Sensory Loss : Mostly in the patient of Posterolateral compression found pain and temperature sensation are the first to get involved.Romberg`s sign found positive in that case.
- Motor symptoms : Motor sign first seen in lower extremity due to anatomical position of the corticospinal tracts.Lower extremity shows sign of spasticity,heaviness,stiffness,or exaggerated or brisk deep tendon reflexes.The Test of Babinski sign may positive.
Diagnosis of cervical myelopathy :- We can see the degeneration or compression of spinal cord with a clear X-ray ,MRI, that’s make the diagnosis simple.With the help of diagnosis we can make physiotherapy treatment protocol for patients
Physiotherapy Treatment for Cervical Myelopathy :-
In the initial stages conservative methods with analgesics and physiotherapy treatment is very useful for patient, we can suggest cervical collar to patient to prevent secondary damage during movement. For pain relief we can use IFT,TENS ,Moist heat ,etc.If the patient don’t get good relief from physiotherapy then he go for laminectomy for decompressing the nerve.in the post operative physiotherapy treatment we are suppose to maintain Rom of cervical spine, or can use different modalities for pain relief as appropriate.or we can give Cervical Mobilization for relief in stiffness or restricted ROM
Source: thephysiotherapyhttp://health.superflacos.com/blog/2014/08/13/cervical-myelopathy-sign-and-symptomes-physiotherapy-treatment/HealthBabinski sign,Cervical myelopathy,Cervical Myelopathy-Sign,degeneration,Motor symptoms,Neck stiffness,physiotherapy treatment,spinal cord